Friday, July 19, 2013

Comic Series - Volume 20: All Out War

For any of you that have been following The Walking Dead comic book series over the past year, you're probably almost as or maybe even more excited then I am about the recent announcement of the "All Out War" 12 issue story arc.

We already knew this was going to happen anyway.  But I have some cool "team" pictures showing the four different groups involved in the war.  I also found out by looking through the pictures that they're officially naming Rick's group "The Survivors."  There's also a new cover for the story arc, but the best thing about the new volume is that new issues are going to be released biweekly starting in October.

I'm excited because now we get twice The Walking Dead with the TV show also returning in October.  So without further ado, let's take a look at the first of five pictures I'm going to analyze.


So this is the cover for the new story arc.  I love the symbolism with the size of Negan's head because it shows how powerful he is and how the Survivors, Hilltop and Kingdom are getting ready to fight against these odds.  You have Michonne on the right with her sword, Rick in the center with his axe and Andrea on left with her sniper in hand.  Just as a side note, every time I see Andrea in the comic book series, I always think back to the TV series and how different it is from the comic book series.  Finally, we have Carl at the bottom, who's looking a lot like a teenager and getting close to being 16 or 17 (I'm just guessing, I don't really know).  Very cool cover!


So here's the first of four team posters that I'm going to go over.  We now have the first official label for Rick's group, the Survivors.  I like the name because of what they've been through, particularly Rick, Carl, Andrea and Michonne.  The logo also resembles Carl a lot (except for the skull) because you have the eye patch and the cowboy hat.  Very cool logo and poster!


Next is the poster for Negan's group, the Saviors.  I love the addition of the baseball bat and I think a vulture is a perfect animal to represent Negan.  Vultures prey on the weak, which is what Negan does with his threats of violence.


Next we have the Hilltop poster, which has great symbolism with the iron and the hammer.  I'm pretty sure it refers back to the blacksmith that's located in the colony and how the people use spears when they're on watch duty.  So I think this represents them pretty well.


Last, but certainly not least, we have the poster for the Kingdom. I do like the sword and tiger, but my favorite thing about the logo is how the whole thing is on one of those old school flags. Very cool logos for all four groups!

I think this is some of the most exciting events we've ever seen in the comic book series.  This upcoming war is nothing like the prison group against the Governor.  There are different circumstances, more groups involved and stronger leaders such as Negan.  The whole thing is way more complicated with a lot more groups and characters coming together.

I'm predicting that there will be a lot of characters deaths throughout the course of this war.  I could even see characters like Andrea, Michonne or even Eugene dying or somebody really important to the Survivors. 

Tell me what you guys think about the new story arc beginning in October.  Who will come out on top in this war? What characters will die? Let me know what you guys think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment