Monday, April 15, 2013

Best and worst episode of The Walking Dead

There have been 35 total episodes of The Walking Dead.  From season to season, it has been the best television show I have ever watched in my life.  But there have also been some low points to the series as well.  So I came up with two lists, one with the best episodes and one with the worst episodes so far.  I'm going to be picking one from both list and explaining why it was my favorite or least favorite episode.

Best Episodes:
Season 2 Episode 1 - What Lies Ahead
Season 2 Episode 7 - Pretty Much Dead Already
Season 2 Episode 12 - Better Angels
Season 2 Episode 13 - Beside The Dying Fire
Season 3 Episode 4 - Killer Within
Season 3 Episode 10 - Home
Season 3 Episode 12 - Clear
Season 3 Episode 15 - This Sorrowful Life

If I had to pick my three favorite episodes, I would go with "Pretty Much Dead Already", "Home" and "This Sorrowful Life", with an honorable mention to "Clear" and magnificent acting by Lennie James (Morgan) and Andrew Lincoln (Rick) in that episode.  I think you can make a case for any episode listed above, but to me, my favorite episode of The Walking Dead is the season two midseason finale, "Pretty Much Dead Already."

Even after watching a fantastic season three, I still think an episode from season two is the best episode ever.  I think seeing Sophia in the barn was absolutely mind-blowing and seeing Carol's reaction at the end of episode was very emotional to watch as well.  I like this episode because we get to see a much colder side of Rick after he shoots Sophia for the rest of season two and all of season three.  I also think it was smart to have Rick shoot Sophia because he was ultimately responsible for her death, and I don't think anyone besides Shane would have had the guts to shoot her.  I also liked how we see Shane and Rick starting to disagree more and events like this eventually culminate with Shane's death in "Better Angels".  So there you have it.  Now let's go to the worst episode of The Walking Dead so far.

Worst Episodes:
Season 2 Episode 2 - Bloodletting
Season 2 Episode 4 - Cherokee Rose
Season 2 Episode 6 - Secrets
Season 3 Episode 13 - Arrow on the Doorpost

I think it comes down to two episodes: "Cherokee Rose" and "Arrow on the Doorpost".  Again, you can make argument for any of the episodes listed.  But I think I'm going to have to give a slight edge to "Cherokee Rose" as the worst episode of The Walking Dead so far.

I'm going off topic here, but here's my script of "Arrow on the Doorpost":

Governor: Surrender
(Governor smiles)
Rick: No
(Governor smiles)
Governor: Give me Michonne
Rick: I'll think about it
Andrea: They kicked me out

That's about it.  If you haven't seen that episode yet, my advice to you is to not even watch it.

Speaking of episodes that you shouldn't watch, I think "Cherokee Rose" was one of them.  This was just a really slow episode and not enough happens.  Just to give you a refresher, Daryl goes and looks for Sophia, Glenn and Maggie hook up and a walker is trapped in the well.  For the record, I absolutely hated the well walker.  That being said, I think this episode contributed to a lot of people thinking that season two was too slow.  There was absolutely no point in doing that and after watching season three, it just proves my point on what a waste of an episode that was.  So even though there was some nice character development with Daryl, I do not care for Glenn and Maggie hooking up and I really didn't care for the well walker.

So those are my thoughts on the best and worst episodes of The Walking Dead.  If you want to offer your opinion or want to just prove me wrong, please write it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment