Sunday, April 7, 2013

Season 3 Overall Review

I think we can all agree that season three was the best season of The Walking Dead so far.

Season one was only six episodes and season 2 didn't have as much action as season three did.  I think the producers in season three did a really good job of not stepping down the quality of the episodes.  I was worried that was going to happen because they are putting in a lot more filler episodes.  Luckily, for season three, they didn't really do that.

So I'm going to go through all sixteen episodes of season three and give you some of the highlights of all of the episodes.

Episode 1 - Seed

This was a really good episode, as we see Lori at end of her pregnancy and the group finding the prison and clearing it out.  I think it was a very exciting episode and the highlights for me include some of the zombie kills, Rick amputating Hershel's leg and Maggie finding out how to kills the armored zombies.  I think it wasn't as good as the season two premiere, but it was still a great way to kick off a great season.

Episode 2 - Sick

Personally, I thought this episode was better than the season premiere.  I thought the whole thing with the prisoners in the cafeteria was great and obviously, the "holy shit" moment of the episode being when Rick kills Tomas.  I also think that setting up Andrew to look like he's dead was great, following the saying, "If you don't see them die, they're not dead."  And as we know later, Andrew eventually returns for revenge.  I also liked the character development for Rick in that episode and what he had to do for the betterment of his group.  There was even some comedy mixed in with the prisoners not knowing how to kill the walkers.

Episode 3 - Walk with Me

This is the episode where we finally meet the Governor and focus on Andrea and Michonne.  I really enjoyed this episode because it is a good introduction to the Governor and us getting to know what he's all about.  By the end of this episode, most people know who the Governor truly is and what is going to happen with him over the course of season three.

Episode 4 - Killer Within

This was a crazy episode, where we see the deaths of both Lori and T-Dog, which was mind-blowing.  Although it was shocking, I think that they should have killed Lori, but keep T-Dog around for a little while longer and have him die later in the season to keep the excitement up.  I think he should have died probably around the time when Axel was killed, but that's just my opinion.  I still think it was a great episode with phenomenal acting by Andrew Lincoln (Rick) at the end of episode.

Episode 5 - Say the Word

Things start to slow down a little bit following the death of Lori.  We get to spend a little more time with the Governor and Rick is starting to lose it.  I think this was an okay episode, but obviously you have to slow things down after Lori's death and the birth of baby Judith.

Episode 6 - Hounded

I really liked this episode because you have Merle and three other dudes chasing after Michonne.  This really introduced the next plot line for the next couple of episodes when Glenn and Maggie are captured and brought back to Woodbury by Merle. 

Episode 7 - When the Dead Come Knocking

I didn't really care for this episode too much, although it was awesome when Glenn killed that walker when he was tied to that chair.  Other then that, I didn't really like this episode.

Episode 8 - Made to Suffer

The mid-season finale was one of the best episodes of the season.  Rick comes to rescue Glenn and Maggie and we are left with the cliffhanger involving Daryl and Merle, which was really exciting and got people pumped for the second half of season three.

Episode 9 - The Suicide King

This was a good returning episode to set the stage for the rest of season three.  Nothing really much to say other then Rick has officially lost it after seeing the hallucination of Lori.

Episode 10 - Home

I have to say that this was probably one of the best three episodes of the season.  I love the way they shot so you don't know what's about to happen, and then all of a sudden, Axel gets his head blown off.  I was thinking we would see something sort of gunfight and characters being pinned down during the season finale, sort of life what they did during this episode.  I think that would have added a little more excitement to the season three finale.

Episode 11 - I Ain't A Judas

This was a pretty cool episode because we got to see how Merle would fit in at the prison.  The episode kind of slowed things down a little bit and even though it wasn't as good as "Home", it was still a decent episode.

Episode 12 - Clear

This was one of my favorite episodes of The Walking Dead ever.  Some people may think of this as a filler episode, but I think it was a perfect episode.  So far, if I had to pick out key moments of the season up to this point, it would be Lori and T-Dog dying, the Governor attacking the prison and seeing the return of Morgan in this episode.

Episode 13 - Arrow on the Doorpost

I didn't like this episode at all.  This was a waste of an episode because we knew the Governor and Rick wouldn't work out a peace treaty and that a war would definitely ensue.  This was probably the worst episode of season three.

Episode 14 - Prey

This was a pretty decent episode, even though some people don't like it when Rick and his group are not featured at all in the episode.  I still thought it was an exciting episode and I loved the ending where we see Andrea tied to the dentist chair.  I don't think it was one of best episodes, but it was still very exciting.

Episode 15 - This Sorrowful Life

This was probably my second favorite episode of the entire season.  I loved the fight scene where Merle took out about seven or eight members of Woodbury and him fighting with the Governor.  My favorite part was when Merle was drinking in the car and he drew all those walkers to where the Governor was.  I could argue that scene was probably the greatest moment of the entire season.  Again, this was a really exciting episode and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

Episode 16 - Welcome to the Tombs

I think this was a very good season finale, although some people thought it was a disappointment.  I was a little disappointed, but that's because my expectations for the series are way too high.  No other show on television can compare to The Walking Dead in terms of excitement and anticipation for the next episode.  The only real competition The Walking Dead has is itself because the season two finale was better that the season three finale in my opinion.  I think there could have been a longer gun battle between Woodbury and Rick's group.

Overall, I think this season was fantastic.  The season started of strong, the mid-season finale was exciting and the season finale was a perfect way to cap off a highly dramatic season three.  This was my favorite season of The Walking Dead so far and I think it definitely beat out season two in terms of excitement, action and drama.  Can't wait for what season four brings us!

No comments:

Post a Comment