Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TV Series - Top 5 Favorite Characters

With season four slowly approaching (which feels like an eternity), I've decided to count down my top five favorite/greatest characters from The Walking Dead television series.  I'll probably do my top five characters from the comic book series later.  For those of you that do read the comics, there are a lot of characters in the comics, so I'll have an even tougher time picking my favorites from the comic book series.  Without further ado,  here are my top five favorite characters from the television series:

Honorable Mention: Morgan Jones

I know he's only been in two episodes, but I think his performance in "Clear" is the only reason I have him as an honorable mention.  I think that was one of the best episodes of season three mainly because we get to see what has happened with him since the first episode of The Walking Dead.  A lot of fans were hoping that he would return in the season three finale, but that didn't happen unfortunately.  He may not be on that much, but when he is, the episode is always fantastic.

#5 - Glenn Rhee

The last remaining survivor from the Atlanta camp, Glenn has been one of my favorite characters over the past three seasons.  He saved Rick from Atlanta and was the group's main supply runner.  He began a relationship with Maggie in season two and I guess you can say they are married since Glenn gave her that ring in "This Sorrowful Life."  Not only does Glenn show compassion and humanity, but he is one tough guy.  When he and Maggie were captured and interrogated by the Governor, he survived a beating from Merle and a walker attack while tied to a chair.  That brought out his resourcefulness and quick-thinking, which is why Glenn is one of my favorite characters.

#4 - Philip Blake a.k.a. "The Governor"

As much as I absolutely hate the Governor, you have to admit that he is a great villain.  If you don't have the Joker, you don't really have Batman.  What I mean by that is that you can have Batman, but you don't really have Batman unless you have someone like the Joker.  If you're watching a Batman movie without the Joker, something is definitely missing.  The Governor is that "Joker" and main villain.  Sure, you have all the zombies, but again, you're missing that main villain that always stirs up trouble.  I think the Governor has been handled really well and he definitely has to be on my list.

#3 - Merle Dixon

I think Merle was absolutely fantastic and one of my favorite characters in season three.  He was responsible for some of the best moments of the entire season like taking out eight of the Governor's men in "This Sorrowful Life."  It's too bad that he died because he really is an interesting character.  He does what needs to be done, has no class whatsoever and teeters on the brink of a hero and a villain.  I think he definitely went out as a hero in "This Sorrowful Life" when he took out all of those men and drew all of those zombies to where the Governor was.

#2 Rick Grimes

Andrew Lincoln is a phenomenal actor and there is no else better suited to playing Rick then him.  I liked all of the struggle in season three over Lori's death and how he got over Lori in the second half of season three.  Personally, I think Rick is more of a badass in the television series then in the comic book series, using grenades very well and being a great shot.  One of the best scenes of season two was when Rick killed Dave and Tony in that bar, and another memorable scene was seeing Rick kill all those zombies in the prison following Lori's death.  He's the main character of the series, and rightfully so because he is absolutely fantastic.

#1 Daryl Dixon

Rick may be the main character, but I think people watch The Walking Dead solely to see Daryl Dixon in action with his signature crossbow.  I never want to see Daryl killed off because he is such a fan favorite, a great survivor and an interesting character in general.  Norman Reedus did an outstanding job in season three, especially when he has to kill Merle after seeing him as a zombie.  I loved when he just took the crossbow from Shumpert after Rick and Maggie came back to save him and Merle.  In addition, Daryl probably had the best zombie kill in the history of the television series.  Remember this?


Probably the best zombie kill I've ever seen in my life.  I also love when Daryl stands up to Merle about Glenn he tells him, "He's Korean."  That was one of my favorite lines of the entire season by far.

So just to recap, my favorite characters from The Walking Dead television series, in order, are Glenn, the Governor, Merle, Rick and Daryl.  Let me know what you guys think and answer the poll above and tell me who your favorite character is.  If you answer "Someone else", let me know who your favorite character is in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment